Nourishing but elegant, the snap of the watercress and smoked salmon is off-set by the creme fraiche and velvet smoothness of the potatoes. It’s instantly gratifying as creme fraiche chases the intense saltiness of the smoked salmon to the back of my mouth.
3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes – peeled and quartered
1/2 cups yellow onions, peeled and quartered
3 cups of watercress, washed and stems removed
1 Bay leaf
6 ounces of smoked salmon, skin removed and cut into 1/2 in. cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place pan over medium heat andsaute the yellow onions until they sweat. Add the potatoes and saute for five minutes.
2. Add water to cover the mixture and the Bay leaf. Cook until the potatoes and onions are cooked trough and soft.
3. Remove Bay leaf and smash potatoes and onion mixture with a potato masher.
4. Add watercress to potato mixture, cover pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
5. When watercress becomes limp but is still bright, use a hand a immersion blender and puree.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve: Place soup in bowl. Make a raft with the smoke salmon cubes and add a small dollop of creme fraiche to the raft.